This is a little book I got my boyfriend about the town we currently live in. You know, this is just a tiny book, but it held so many fascinating facts about the town, I could barely put it down. Basingstoke being an overspill city of London, I didn’t think too much about it’s history. But how wrong was I. One of my absolutely favorite brands, Burberry, was founded here. I really love how the tiny book had a little bit of everything: history, photos, ghost stories, Hampshire based recepies and even a quiz at the end.
Some interesting facts about Basingstoke:
- The name supposedly comes from the saxon tribe that populated the area around AD700, who called themselves “basingas”
- One of the oldest buildings is Church Cottage (oldest part dates from 1520)
- One of Basingstoke’s historic sites is the ruined Chapel of the Holy Ghost (I go there for bunny-spotting)
- Daniel Defoe commented on the town’s corn market in 1724
- After Basingstoke was established as an overspill town, most of it’s town centre was rebuilt into a modern shopping center (which I am not a fan of)
- It features in Shakespeare’s ‘King Henry IV’
- The Tower at Skyline Plaza in the heart of Basingstoke is the tallest building on the flight path from Heathrow Airport to New York.
I think we should all try and know as musch as we can about the place we live in, because, at the end of the day, it’s very much so a part of your life. So next time you’re out and about, go on, I challenge you, discover something, a building, an old tree, a windowframe, anything!
Also, for an amazing archive of old pictures about towns and villages of the UK, visit :